Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Can I still get into Heaven if I can't make biscuits?


Being in this small cottage
(and i do mean small - 500 sf give or take an inch)
 has made me want to break out the cross-stitch, actually cook from scratch....even putter around in the garden here
they even have a grape vine arch welcoming you in - how could you NOT want to go in there??
It also prompted me to pick up that book
"My so-called life as a Proverbs 31 wife".
Well. 
Knowing that tropical storm Beryl was coming actually made me grab some reading material in case we were stranded without power for a few days, but the cottage, and being on my honeymoon and all, made me pick this book in particular.
I stood in the Walmart 
(side note, why does everyone say "the walmart" and "the Kroger" here - and most of the time in plural? At home it's "i'm going to Walmart' - here it's "I'm going to the Walmarts".  Weird, yet charming all at once.
 staring at this book with all kinds of preconceived notions
(see - another charming thing about being here, you don't "have ideas" - you "get notions" or "half a mind".  As in "I have half a mind to give you a swat right here in line at the Walmarts." said from a very agitated parent to a child who was mid-meltdown in the cashier line when i was buying this book.
I was intrigued - i mean who doesn't want to be a better wife? I certainly do.  
But 
I am not a stay at home mom.
I am not usually the one cooking.
Or buying groceries.
I definitely do NOT mend clothes - i don't even hem my own slacks.
I am a looooooooong way from Proverbs 31.
I wasn't really sure it was relevant to me, or my life.
And it kind of made me sad that I wasn't such a person.
And then mad - this woman doesn't even exist in real life!!
Oh - wait- yes she does - they're all over Maitland - these stay at home, play tennis after dropping the kids at school, look fabulous all the time moms. 
Jealousy hit me like a ton of bricks.
So now i've gone from being sad to mad to jealous all in 15 minutes standing in the Walmarts staring at a book title!!!
I may not need this book as much as i need to start spending some time talkin to Jesus more. Get a grip girl.
I bought the book.
And I read it in a day while the man was fishing his little heart out.
She was me.
She works.
She is not the chef in the house.
And she struggles with all of it just like I do.

I feel a lot more validated that my choice to work isn't a bad choice, or a wrong choice.
It doesn't make me less of a christian wife or mother.
In fact, the Proverbs 31 wife worked too (I honestly didn't know that until I read the book!)

Such a great read from a very entertaining, honest writer.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some biscuits and gravy to make for a very sleepy man.
OK, really i have some cheerios to throw in a bowl and hope the milk isn't spoiled - but let's just go with it.

 

Linking to the girls at The Picket Fence
 

 

7 comments:

  1. Visiting you via Sara Horn's post on fb! Love your take on the book and loving your story of the visit to the Walmarts ;) ! I just got it and I am starting it this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute little cottage! So glad you got some reading in on your getaway. I will have to add that book to my summer reading list. It's amazing how so many of us, whether stay at home or working mamas, struggle with feeling like we don't measure up to some standard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Stephanie - i almost spit my coffee out when i read your comment - i can't believe the author linked back to my blog - holy guacamole batman! Thanks for letting me know! Enjoy the book - it really hit home for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have to add it to my reading list! I enjoyed your post and the pictures of your beautiful little cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shari!!!! Oh my goodness my friend I about jumped out of my seat when I saw your link at Inspiration Friday!!!! How are you? I just spent a whole bunch of time catching up on your posts and it is just so nice to be visiting you over here. :-) I just love how you are so honest and real and that you share from your heart. I think we all have a warped idea in our head of what the Proverbs 31 woman should be and I'm definitely going to get myself a copy of that book too! Thanks so much for coming by and joining the party this past weekend and I hope to see more of you in the future!
    Love, Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulously funny post to first visit your blog on. Thank you for a much needed smile along the internet.

    I must admit, I've picked that particular book up a few times but decided otherwise on buying. So many book and so little time.

    What a pleasure to meet you. - debber

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved reading this, your take on the book and the Walmarts! I can so hear some of my relatives saying that! :) Sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete